Ryan’s asked for no refined sugars or flours, so I finally have to be serious about cutting such things completely out of our weeknight meals. Okay, weekend too. (sigh)
I was thrilled to find a 100% whole wheat muffin recipe sweetened with honey that actually was soft and delicious. In fact, they were still soft the next day! (Not bad for whole wheat!)
Here’s my version of the recipe:
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Grease muffin tins, or line with papers
3. Whisk together dry ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, oil, and honey until creamy.
5. Toss blueberries into dry ingredients to quickly coat.
6. Pour wet into dry, folding with a rubber spatula just until the batter is moist (but still lumpy.)
7. Spoon into muffin tin and bake 20-30 minutes. ***
*For cheater buttermilk: pour 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar unto 1 cup measure; fill with milk and let sit until it’s a bit curdled. Ta-da!
**For an even healthier muffin, substitute unsweetened applesauce for the oil.
***The original recipe said 30-35, but mine were done at 22 minutes. Nothing worse than dry, over-baked muffins!