Recipes

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

Ryan’s asked for no refined sugars or flours, so I finally have to be serious about cutting such things completely out of our weeknight meals. Okay, weekend too. (sigh)

I was thrilled to find a 100% whole wheat muffin recipe sweetened with honey that actually was soft and delicious. In fact, they were still soft the next day! (Not bad for whole wheat!)

Here’s my version of the recipe:

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
makes 12

• 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 1/4 cup buttermilk*
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil**
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 [generous!] cup blueberries, fresh or frozen

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Grease muffin tins, or line with papers
3. Whisk together dry ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, oil, and honey until creamy.
5. Toss blueberries into dry ingredients to quickly coat.
6. Pour wet into dry, folding with a rubber spatula just until the batter is moist (but still lumpy.)
7. Spoon into muffin tin and bake 20-30 minutes. ***

*For cheater buttermilk: pour 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar unto 1 cup measure; fill with milk and let sit until it’s a bit curdled. Ta-da!

**For an even healthier muffin, substitute unsweetened applesauce for the oil.

***The original recipe said 30-35, but mine were done at 22 minutes. Nothing worse than dry, over-baked muffins!

11 comments for “Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins”

1. Yay!

I just officially (as of this week) made the transition to no refined flours/sugars for the duration of the pregnancy. So far it’s… HARD. But a recipe like this is sure to help! Thanks!!!!!

Posted by Brietta | June 9, 2009, 1:50 pm
  2. Hi Danica :)
    Thanks for the recipe! Love, Q

Posted by Quinne | June 10, 2009, 11:59 am
  3. I just found a dairy-free buttermilk substitution so I can make these. They look great!

Posted by Jackie | June 11, 2009, 10:22 am
  4. Thank you for this recipe! I made them yesterday with grahm flour (because that is all I had) and they turned out great! Is raw sugar or evaporated cane juice a refined sugar?

Posted by Melissa Lange | June 19, 2009, 9:49 am
  5. these sound great. I’ve been very moderate with refined flours/sugars for quite awhile. I use all raw sugar or honey in my baking but, occasionally use some white flour for cakes,cookies, etc..it can be a challenge but is worth it in the long run. Can’t wait to try this recipe- we love blueberry muffins.

Posted by Gina Murawski | June 30, 2009, 11:39 am
  6. I just found your recipe. I can’t wait to try it. I have some very delicious blueberries and my kids have been asking for muffins…sooo here you are!! I too have seven daughters!!! How fun. Thanks for posting this recipe.

Posted by ginny | July 22, 2009, 7:16 am
  7. Ok, I have to know….why cutting out refined sugars and flours? I must admit I am not “in the know” about whats up with refined things. Why are they bad? I mean I know they are “refined” and bleached, but what have you heard/read that they do to your body when you eat them?

Posted by Randi | July 23, 2009, 11:33 am
  8. @Randi: Great question! I did a quick search and found this basic and informative article: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art5688.asp

Posted by Danica | July 23, 2009, 7:56 pm
  9. Wow! These are GREAT muffins! This is my new standby recipe as of now. :) I even made them for my overnight company for breakfast tomorrow!
    Thank you for sharing!

Posted by Sarah P. | September 5, 2009, 1:11 pm
  10. I’ve been white flour and sugar free for about 22 days now. Definitely a change in mental clarity! I use Agave instead of sugar and it’s been working out well in recipes. It’s very sweet, so I go even lighter in quantity, even than honey. I’m so excited to try this recipe. I plan to bring these muffins on our family vacation and get some others to eat a healthier sweet than all the sugar-laden options! Thanks for posting this recipe!

Posted by Gabriella | July 2, 2010, 5:51 am
  11. I am so happy that stumbled upon your website! I have now made this reciepe 3 times and these muffins are hit with my whole family! My 4 year old daughter loves them! Thanks so much for the reciepes!

Posted by Kristy | September 17, 2010, 10:47 am

Please note: we really value the input and interaction that you, the reader, brings to our site. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. We welcome all thoughts, questions, and ideas, both in agreement or disagreement, that contribute to a healthy discussion. Comments are moderated.