Recipes

a breakfast that sticks to your ribs: granola

When my mom left us to fend for ourselves after William was born, she stocked our freezer and cupboards with food. (Thanks, Mom, again!) My favorite? The big batch of granola she left for my breakfasts.

I ate it every morning until I ran out. And then I promptly baked another batch. And another, and another.

This stuff is really, really good. And it’s healthy. And best of all, if I eat a generous portion, I’m not hungry again for hours — which was important those first few weeks, since I couldn’t count on sitting down to a meal at 12 noon. (Ha!) I like mine with plain yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup. Yum!

Here’s the recipe, the way I’ve been doing it:

Simple Granola
adapted from More With Less

Preheat oven to 250.

Combine in large mixing bowl:

2 c. whole wheat flour
6 c. rolled oats
1 c. coconut
1 c. wheat germ (or 2/3 c. whole wheat flour, if you keep forgetting to buy wheat germ like I do!)
8 oz. slivered almonds
12 oz. dried fruit (I like craisins, dried blueberries, and dried cherries.)

Blend together separately:

1/2 c. water
1 c. oil
1 c. honey
2 t. vanilla
1 T. salt

Add blended liquid to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Spread out on rimmed cookie sheet and bake 1 1/2 – 2 hours, stirring halfway through, until golden (for chewy; longer if that’s your preference.)

Store in covered containers (but I bet it won’t last long!)

*Granola is, of course, an amazingly flexible food. Beef up the nutrition with the addition of all sorts of goodies, or change the flavor with the addition of cinnamon and other spices. (Dried apples, walnuts, and cinnamon would be yummy!)

9 comments for “a breakfast that sticks to your ribs: granola”

1. We always put chopped dried ginger in ours. Yummy!

Posted by Lore | January 13, 2009, 10:39 am
  2. Is there anything I oculd substitute for the coconut? I’m not sure anyone here (besides me!) would eat it with that in it. Thanks!

Posted by Jackie | January 16, 2009, 5:43 am
  3. Here’s my first suggestion: use unsweetened coconut (available at natural food stores). The flavor is very mild in comparison to what you and I typically think of when we think coconut. Very good stuff!

If that doesn’t suffice, you could leave the coconut out altogether or replace it with something like bran.

I really think if you give unsweetened coconut a try, they will never even know there’s coconut in it. It really is not a dominant flavor (hardly noticeable). Enjoy!!

Posted by Darlene Sinclair | January 16, 2009, 6:10 am
  4. I just got back from Nature’s Storehouse with a bag of unsweetened coconut! Great minds think alike, right? ;-)

Posted by Jackie | January 16, 2009, 9:38 am
  5. Hi! I know this was posted a while ago, but I’m just now getting around to making it! Can I ask – what kind of oil do you recommend? I’d love to use coconut oil but I don’t have any right now. Olive oil doesn’t seem right (or maybe it is..?) so I was thinking vegetable oil…? I just don’t want to mess up the flavor! Thanks!!!

Posted by Rissa | January 29, 2009, 3:01 pm
  6. Rissa: I’m sure either oil would work– so whatever you’d prefer! If you have any safflower oil, that’s what Mom uses.

Posted by Brietta | January 29, 2009, 3:36 pm
  7. just made a batch tonight!! :D

Posted by Leah | April 18, 2009, 6:17 pm
  8. Thanks a bunch for sharing your recipe! I went a little awry – my honey allergy prompted me to use fresh maple syrup. I added blueberries, walnuts, cinnamon, pumpkin seeds, cherries, and a few raisins. I used an 8×8 dish and coconut oil. Result was a crispy top and bread pudding-like bottom. Great with rice milk and an extra maple drizzle! How long can I store it?

Posted by Valerie Paige | March 1, 2015, 6:33 pm
  9. So glad you enjoyed it! I use a large Tupperware container to store it and it’s never lasted long enough for me to know its limits! But I would say it lasts for quite a while just as long as it’s in a good container!

Posted by Camilla | March 2, 2015, 6:52 am

Please note: we really value the input and interaction that you, the reader, brings to our site. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. We welcome all thoughts, questions, and ideas, both in agreement or disagreement, that contribute to a healthy discussion. Comments are moderated.