Holidays

Autumn sides: Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apple Sauce

Once again, I am lacking pictures for my post. To make up for that, I offer you not one, but two favorite side dishes!

Apple Sauce –yields 4 cups

This apple sauce tends to appear at more than just traditional holiday meals, for sure, but serving it at a meal lit with candles and set with fall colors transforms any dinner into an autumnal celebration.

3 lbs of apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (we like a mix that includes Cortlands!)
ground cinnamon to taste
2-4 T sugar
3/4 cups water

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the desired consistency (30-35 minutes). (Add water if it begins to stick to the bottom of the pan.)

*A note: keep in mind that the sugar and cinnamon become more pronounced as the applesauce cools.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

These are the yummiest way to eat sweet potatoes — take my word for it! We serve them at Thanksgiving and Christmas (and sometimes sneak in an extra time or two before winter’s end!)

4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 lb baby carrots
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1-2 T fresh rosemary, chopped (or use dry!)
a dash of ground thyme
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss all ingredients together on a rimmed cookie sheet. Roast for 60-90 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Yum yum!

Comments are disallowed for this post.

1. oh yes! ’tis time for two of my favorite recipes.
    we have made applesauce a number of times this month, but we have yet to dive into sweet potatoes.

soon, soon. thanks for the reminder!

Posted by nancy | October 14, 2008, 4:44 pm
  2. Ok, how many does the sweet potato recipe serve? Thanks for the recipes!!

Posted by Randi Young | October 15, 2008, 9:01 am
  3. @Randi: Hmmm… I think that makes about enough for 6 side servings. Maybe a bit more? :)

Posted by Danica | October 15, 2008, 3:24 pm
  4. I’ve got a butternut squash sitting in the fridge, waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. Do you think I could sub the squash for the sweet potatos?

Posted by Jackie | October 16, 2008, 2:57 am
  5. Awesome! I was planing on making apple sauce next week, so this is perfect. Eric isn’t fond of sweet potatoes…yet! After all, since we’ve been married, he now likes green beans, broccoli, and zucchini, so this recipe might do the trick! I’m so thankful for a husband that will try new things – especially my crazy, I’ll-never-make-this-one-again recipes. Can’t wait to try these ones!

Posted by Jen Trelease | October 16, 2008, 4:15 am
  6. @Jackie: I would think that the squash might not hold its own, texture-wise, but would be tasty, at any rate! Actually, this recipe is based on a sweet potato dip Mom made once, and the final step was to blend it all in a food processor… So maybe you could make that the final step if you use squash?

Also, Mom and I are sitting here remembering that she made a stir-fry with butternut squash last year — cubed it very small, and it soaked up all that yummy flavor. Oh, it was sooo good! So there’s another unusual way to use up a squash.

Posted by Danica | October 16, 2008, 7:50 am
  7. I tried this recipe last night with my squash. http://www.recipezaar.com/106627

It was delicious! Just thought I’d pass it along. :-)

Posted by Jackie | October 21, 2008, 2:59 am
  8. Mmm! Both these recipes sound SO good! I will have to pick up some apples & sweet potatoes on my next shopping trip!

Posted by Mary Austin-Howe | October 29, 2008, 8:28 pm