Homemaking

Starting Soon!

I stood at the kitchen sink gazing out of the window. “Wow, the fall is going to be gone in no time,” I thought to myself, realizing that plans were in the making for air flights at holiday time. Nothing like flipping those calendar pages to make you realize how quickly time flies.

I smiled warmly and joyfully announced aloud to the window in front of me and to no one in particular, “Rum logs!”

“What?” came a startled response from Camilla who was sitting at the table.

“Oh,” I responded somewhat sheepishly, “I said, ‘Rum logs!’.” With renewed relish I continued to explain. “I’m thinking that soon it will be time for Christmas decor and that made me think of rum logs. I love them! That makes me glad it’s coming again soon!”

“Yup!” she agreed heartily.

We all agree: rum logs are a favorite part of Christmas here at our home. They are worth waiting for! Anticipation can be a great thing and traditions help create anticipation.

Here’s something for you to anticipate. We will soon be starting a series on “Traditions” right here at Mom and Us. Be sure to catch it all!

Comments are disallowed for this post.

1. Oh yum! Rum logs are one of my favorites too!

Posted by Michelle | September 30, 2008, 4:22 am
  2. …and here I was, thinking I was probably the only one thinking and anticipating rum logs so early in the season! I kept thinking that with the baby coming, maybe I should go and stock up on ingredients right now and maybe even baking a batch or two to make sure we´ll have some when I´m recovering from having the baby!

Posted by Keila | September 30, 2008, 5:07 am
  3. I still chuckle when remembering our dear friend Judy rhapsodizing over them.

Judy: “I love them so much that I made three batches, and they still weren’t enough.”

Me:”oh yeah? What are they called again?”

Judy: “LUM ROGS. I love ’em.”

I guess now is a good time to reveal that they contain no liquor; only rum flavoring….

Posted by nancy | September 30, 2008, 7:40 am
  4. Yes — good thing to note. For the concerned patron: no alcohol.
    And, yes, we will include the recipe and photos soon, in case we didn’t last year. Did we do them last year? Well, I know I did on my blog, but maybe not here at Mom and Us. Better photos will help as well. At any rate, they’ll be coming soon!

And Keila, from all I’ve been told they freeze beautifully. If I lived a bit closer, we would have a baking party and get your freezer full. Sorry… :( But your Mama is coming soon — she will help! ;) Love you!

Posted by Darlene Sinclair | October 1, 2008, 3:14 am
  5. We started the rum log tradition last year….yummy!!

Posted by Randi Young | October 1, 2008, 5:15 am
  6. Are rum logs anything like rum balls? Because if they are then I love them too! I’m awaiting Christmas as well but, not necessarily the snow that comes with it. :)

Posted by Gina Murawski | October 2, 2008, 10:32 am