Last week was a bit on the chilly side, so Jameson and I made some favorite recipes: potato soup and oatmeal muffins.
Potato Soup (the way I make it!)
1. Saute small onion and 3 cloves of garlic in butter.
2. Add 6-7 peeled and cubed white potatoes (or the equivalent of any other kind.)
3. Cover with water and 4 cubes of (no MSG!) chicken boullion. (Or use stock.)
4. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
5. Boil; cover and simmer for 20+ minutes or till potatoes are very soft.
6. Mash potatoes well. Add 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, and heat through until cheese is melted.
Cinnamon-Topped Oatmeal Muffins.
This recipe is one we often had for dinner growing up. It’s from More With Less, a cookbook I highly recommend. It’s full of basic recipes and nutritional information, as well as a beginner’s guide to whole grains and proteins.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Sift together into mixing bowl: 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 3 t. baking powder, 1/2 t. salt
3. Stir in: 1 cup oats, 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
4. Add: 3 T oil, 1 beaten egg, 1 cup milk. Stir only until dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full.
6. Sprinkle with cinnamon topping: 2 T sugar, 2 t flour, 1 t cinnamon, 1 T melted butter
7. Bake 15 minutes.